Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:22:04 EDT
From: C2slayman@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Re: Underheating GTV

Hi Bruce,
    What makes you sure your temp gauge is accurate?  Is it possible that
the
car really is running at 190F and the gauge is off?
    If you think the gauge is accurate, it could be that the thermostat is
jamming in the return position (ie once it opens it has a hard time closing
until things really cool off).  You might be able to see this if you put the

thermostat in a hot pot of water and let it cool down.  Watch for smooth
continuous
action of the thermostat as it closes.  If you want to get fancy, you can
even stick a thermometer in the pot.  But what's the accuracy of the
thermometer?
 I am always suspicious of accuracy of intrumentation unless it has been
calibrated.

Charlie

In a message dated 8/10/2004 8:14:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,