Re: GTV-6 fuel pump not running

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Chris Lesher wrote:
snip........

> Now here's the wierd part that I could never figure out and hopefully some
> of the electrically knowledgeable folks can help out.  On my car I tested
> the p/w wire at the fuel pump and got a zero volts reading.  When I
> disconnected the p/w wire from the pump it read 10.6 volts.  This test was
> repeated many times.  What I finally did was bypass the p/w wire completely
> from combo relay to fuel pump and that wire showed 12+ volts - not to
> mention the pump now ran.  Why would the 10.6 volts get 'lost'?  does the
> pump not run without a full 12v?  and does the voltage going into the pump
> not go to ground unless the pump runs?

I suspect you had a high resistance voltage leak to the pump wire. When
the pump was connected, it essentially shorted all voltage to ground,
without having sufficient amperage to run. When you took the wire off,
the ground went away, and you measured voltage. There are a couple of
possible reasons why you measured 10+ volts rather than 12, but they're
of no great interest.

Regards,
Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@crl.com>
           *******Los Altos, California (office)*******