Re: "As The Lug Nut Turns"

Thank you Fred!!  As the word RIM has gained increasing acceptability as a
synonym for WHEEL over the last few years I've become increasingly
aggravated but refrained from saying anything for fear of sounding like a
stooge.  Thank you also for stressing the importance of spelling homophones
correctly.  I wouldn't have refrained from ranting about that, but I was
too busy doing homework.

While I fear that I may sound like a stooge, I'm going to take this
opportunity to ask people to call heated-wire type airflow meters
"heated-wire type airflow meters."  I'm of the opinion that the term "mass
airflow sensor" doesn't exist and was made up by the same breed of idiot
that works behind the counter at AutoZone.  The term simply does not make
sense!  Perhaps "air mass sensor" would be appropriate since, between
volume and temperature, that's what an AFM tries to measure, but since
there's nothing mass(ive) about the airflow, the term "mass airflow sensor"
is entirely nonsensical.  Perhaps that would be an appropriate name for a
component on a jet engine, but I'd have nothing to do with an airplane that
had anything to do with L-Jetronic or goonies from AutoZone...
Anyway, can we agree not to call a heated-wire type airflow meter (or a
flap-type airflow meter for that matter) a mass airflow sensor, mass air
sensor, or MAS ever again?  If you must, I suppose I could live air mass
meter or air mass sensor, but since the real word is Airflow Meter can we
stick with that?  I realize this rant makes about as much sense as
insisting that Spider be spelled with an "i," but I thought I'd give it a
go anyway.

Joe Elliott
(did I mention that I'm a double-major in mechanical engineering AND English?)