Non Alfa Content but would like advice

Does anyone out there know if I can put Dexron 3 in my Mercedes 560SL, it
is an '88 and calls for Dexron 2 for the transmission. I plan on changing
it this weekend but the local parts guy told me the Dexron 3 may cause
foaming. It is a weekend car 5000 miles per year max.

Any help?

Jim Kirzinger

Alfa 164, Verde, Junior, Several Alfettas, Volvo 760, Mercedes 560