From: Fillip, Joe
To: 'johnhertzman@domain.elided'
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 1:44 PM
Subject: Alfetta Sedan Production Numbers

John: Sorry to keep pestering you with Alfetta questions, but I am becoming
increasingly interested in the minutae of these wonderful cars the more I
crawl aound my '78 Sports Sedan.
Do you know US production numbers for the Alfetta sedans, particularly the
second generation Sports Sedans (I believe the model designation is 116.58)?
If the number is as low as I think it is, you'd have to consider the Sedans
as victims of a particularly bleak time for all automobile manufacturers (at
least those doing business in the U.S.): the late 70s. Poor or non-existent
rust proofing (combined with Alfa's use of Russian steel of very dubious
quality), primitive smog equipment, and other power sapping and poorly
functioning add-ons (particularly air conditioning) meant that the cars
really never had much of a chance. A shame, really, because it is one
impressively integrated piece of design work.
As always, thanks for your insight and help.
Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA