re: Autoweek vs. Originality

hi paul,

i tink john's pullin' yer leg - the foto is 100% alfa, even tho an mga is described...  ;~)

doug s.
In a message dated 9/24/01 10:47:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
johnhertzman@domain.elided writes:

> Page 22, "The Market" column by Keith Martin, features a 1957 MGA sold at the
> RM auction in Monterey August 17-18 for $18,425; Keith says "another $5,000
> wouldn't have surprised." Somebody had gone to great lengths to customize
> the
> car: split bumper, eyebrows, heart-shaped grill and all. A stunning rebuttal
> to those who think originality is everything.
>
> John H.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Funny, a review of the August Sports Car Market, Keith's own publication,
shows example after example (61 instances in all) in the Market Report
sections of individual cars at auction being panned for modifications or
unoriginality. This by Keith himself or his select journalists, such as
Raymond Milo, himself a fount of Alfa knowledge. I have been reading SCM ten
years now, back when its' original focus was just Alfa Romeo, and have yet to
see a pattern of published appreciation or recognition of an upside value for
owner-modified cars. Actually, it's the contrary; one can rely on reading
hilarious write-ups of ill-conceived modified machines at auction month after
month. The laughs alone are worth the cost of subscription. Only vintage cars
that were modified at the time of debut by a recognized name such as Nardi,
Abarth, Giannini and so on receive any positive comments on a whole. Are
there exceptions? Yes. But they are rare in Keith's history....