Chains and belts

While Tim H of Britain has a point I hasten to add that when a timing chain
does break on an interference engine it takes out the valves and etc etc
just as for a rubber belt drive. Most rubber belt drives are very reliable
and easy to service. The one on the Alfa V 6 seems as reliable as most IF
you change them as intended. For the 12 valve model the job doesn't seem to
be inordinately difficult for a mechanic, but admittedly it needs to be
dome carefully and correctly. Dunno about the 24 valve but I do know Alfa
had the misfortune to have a run of bad belts from the factory. The
GM/Vauxhall?Opel?SAAB V 6 also had a bout of bad tensioners causing similar
catastrophes. These are not inherent failures of the rubber belt design,
however. Defective timing chains (Usually tensioner or guide problems,
sometimes sprocket teeth,) cause similar problems and the parts themselves
are more expensive than the rubber belts.

C'est la vie, takes your choice and names your poison.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner