Re: Alfetta heater

Neil,

There was two types of heater box/blower motor fitted to the Alfetta Sedan
that I have come across, one was made by IPRA, the other made by Valeo. The
Valeo is slightly easier to remove and install, but they are both a real
pain in the arse. You should set aside at minimum 4-5 hours for this job.

This is a brief description of the rpocedure, so you need to fill in the
gaps. You firstly need to remove the centre console, and then the lower
section of the centre of the dashboard, where the heater controls are
placed. You can do this by levering off the trim above the heater control,
and then removing the screws holding the heater control panel. You should
also seperate the heater control panel from the bracket that holds the
control levers. You can do this by pulling off the large control knobs and
them removing the jam nuts holding the control switches attached to the
panel.

You also need to detach the hoses from the heater core, located on the
drivers side next to the steering column. Before you do this, you should
detach the heater hoses from the engine bay (one on your water pump, the
other on the manifold) and try to blow as much water out of the heater core
before you remove the hoses attached to the core. Otherwise you will end up
with coolant soaked carpet.  Taking the hoses off the core is a bit of a
pain, and it is a bit easier if you remove the steering column shroud first.

Dont forget to detach the wiring for the heater blower motor.

Now for the diffucult bit. You will need a 10mm socket with 3/8 drive, a
long extension and ratchet. There are four nuts (two front and two rear)
holding the heater box to the underside of the dashboard support panel. You
will need to get on your back to see these nuts, as they are well hidden.
Once these nuts are out, the box is free, and you can remove it from the
dashboard by gently pulling and tilting at the same time.

As Mr.Haynes would say, installation is the reverse of removal! Be careful
when removing/installing and working on the heaterbox, as the plastic is
quite fragile. I assume you know that the heaterbox has to come apart in
order to replace the blower motor. Not really diffucult if you pay attention
when taking the thing apart.

These instructions will make much more sense once you actually start the
job!

Good Luck,

Sasha.

Sasha Nackovski- Melbourne, Australia. Aroca (Vic) Member.

Various cars including Alfetta Sedan parts car.

>Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:02:03 +1100
>From: Neil Choi <neil.choi@domain.elided>
>Subject: Looking for alfisti Scott Katsatka and Alfa cycling gear
>
>Hi All

>Also if anyone can give me advice on how to remove and fix heater/blower in
a 1978 Alfetta Sedan, I would be grateful.

>Cheers
>Neil Choi
>'90 164
>'78 Alfetta Sedan (track car)
>
>[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name
of neil.choi.vcf; charset=us-ascii]