newer fleet in Italy

In a message dated 10/18/2001 7:22:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I was surprised though at how few older cars were on
> the road.  I'm sure they wear their cars out much
> sooner.  Any comments on this?

Jerry E of SF:

I, too, just returned from France and Italy.  I don't know about the Pugeot
406 you got but there were some new Pinnfarina P's running around (mostly in
France) that were at least quite handsome.  There are quite a few older cars
in France; in fact, a red Spider (91ish) very much like our own piloted us
across the Franco-Italian frontier from Menton to Ventimilla.

In Italy I am told there is some kind of tax situation that makes it
relatively more expensive own an older car, and more expensive as it gets
older, so after about 5 years it is a better idea to trade in the old one for
a new car.  I assume they either crush the old ones or sell them across the
borders since you usually don't see them around.  Just this morning a local
Alfa mechanic (who is a frequent visitor to his native home in Sicily) told
me FIAT has had some kind of promotion with a rebate deal that has the same
effect: you're almost crazy to keep a 5 or 6 year old car; for the same $ or
less you could be in a new car.

And, people seem to be doing OK in Italy (at least in the N where I was) and
they like to cut la bella figura, so if they can afford it I suppose they'd
rather have a fresh and snappy new car than something worn and cheap looking
like us in the USA.

There is quite a difference in the driving, I prefer even the French to the
Americans, frankly.  For one thing, it seems most people pay attention to
their driving when doing it, at least, instead of being preoccupied with so
many other little activities the driving is almost an afterthought.  To me,
this is all the fault of automatic transmission, power steering, power
brakes, cushy suspensions, A/C and other devices designed specifically to
divorce the driver from the experience of driving.  In short, I think they're
better drivers there.  There is also the thought they have to be more careful
because, overall, driving is more costly there than in the USA.

In a lot of places, especially N. Italy which I am most familiar with as a
driver, the roads are a LOT better than in the USA.  Just the maintenance of
the roadway surface is better almost always.  Italian markings are usually
excellent.  France has very good highways but the secondaries are not as
great as in Italy, I think.

Of course, there are always surprises or special cases, such as the Amalfi
Drive which is spectacular but in some places seems almost undriveable (and
then you see to huge buses heading straight for each other around a curve on
a 2500 foot cliff!)  The main road around Lake Como is mostly a very good
small road.  It goes through the beautiful little lakeside towns.  One of
them, just outside Como, is Cernobbio, which is where the Villa d'Este is
(it's on this very road).  You're tooling along and all of a sudden, alora!
It has suddenly become not a 2 lane main road, but a one-way cobblestone
alley lined with shops, full of pedestrians, and a top speed of about 10 (mph
or kph, it doesn't make a difference).  I diced the way through with a
Ferrari Maranello and you know, that red car could go no faster than our
rented Xantia!  Then 2 block s later, you're back on a nice country road!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

Charlie
LA, CA, USA