Water pump removal

Hullo all,

Re the correspondence a few days ago about water-pump removal, I would like
to endorse Les's stud-removal method. Some years ago I had to do the pump on
the 2-litre Alfetta GTV (incidentally, a car which we bought from Les about
10 years ago, and which we still have), and I guess I'd read or heard so
much about the performance to remove the pulley that I was hoping the
double-nut stud-removal would work. (And fortunately I'd previously learned
about this stunt from the NZ AROC magazine, in an article written for it by
Les some time previously, which I'd recalled).   Anyway the studs did come
out OK and the job was completed, although if I recall correctly I did have
to remove more than one stud, as Andrew Watry also reported with his 2000cc
job in Digest no.150.  And one of the studs was pretty bloody hard to remove
too, but it did come out in the end.

I can't recall whether I refitted the studs or replaced them with bolts, to
make the job easier next time (if there is a next time).  And on this topic,
Brian S had a slight preference for the pulley-removal alternative, on the
basis that repeated stud-removals might damage the block's threads - well I
would hope that the job might only need doing once or twice or maybe thrice
in the whole life of the car, and with care the block-threads should easily
be preservable for that small number of repeats I'd guess.

Best regards,
Graham,
New Zealand.
1750 GTV, Alfetta GTV, Alfasud TIs and Sprints.