Paint code question

The car in question is a '73 Spider, manufactured in 12/72.
I am getting ready to paint the car, but I can't find a paint code sticker on
the car anywhere. I want to respray in the original color. The PO told me the
code was 501. At the paint store they show this code used up until 1970, and
then again in '74 For a '73 they show code 510. Any thoughts? Is there a way
to tell what code from a serial number, or...? Thanks,

Val