Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:40:05 EST
From: DirectAutoGroup@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Importing an Alfa to the U.S. anybody
tried this?

Jerry,

It *_could_* be done, but at tremendous expense.
Since these would be
totally nonconforming cars....

Put it this way.  MotoRex in LA is charging $90,000+
for a new Skyline
GTR.

That's a $40-45K or so car in Japan.  And I hear
they're only making
$5-6,000
per car net profit if that puts it into perspective...

You're talking an investment of roughly $2,000,000 to
do it right.

Bill Weismann
Who is working on Bringing LHD COmmodore SSs over.

> I'm curious to hear if any listers have attempted to
> import a modern Alfa or other "non-conforming" car
> the U.S.  I'm talking about models that have never
> been sold new here.  I see occasionally there are
cars
> that somehow get through the system.  One example is
> the Alfa 155 that's listed on Autotrader.com.
>
> From what I've managed to find on the web the only
way
> to do this is to petition the secretary of
> transportation for some kind of waiver.  The NHTSA
> website also states you must obtain a bond for one
and

http://personals.yahoo.com