Re: flywheel position

Paul,
	I thought the crank, damper and flywheel were independently (ie
externally) balanced on the 4 cylinder aluminum block Alfas.  (Digest experts
like John, Fred, Jim, Russ, etc please correct me if I'm wrong).  As such, the
flywheel to crank orientation on your '72 Spider shouldn't matter.
	However, on the L-Jetronic Spiders, there is a trigger pin on the
flywheel that must be aligned with #1 TDC.  I recently had the flywheel on my
'89 L-Jetronic Spider lightened and lost the timing mark.  For those Digesti
with L-Jet Spiders, I post these instructions in case you run into trouble
yourself.  Here is the process I used to get the crank and flywheel properly
aligned (Thanks to Tom Sahines, Bob Wandel and Larry Dickman Jr):

ALIGNMENT OF L-JET FLYWHEEL TO CRANKSHAFT
	1)  With #1 at TDC, the crankshaft bolt hole with the recess in it is at
12 o'clock (the other 5 bolt holes have no recess).  I'm not sure if pre-L-Jet
cranks have this recessed bolt hole.  I can't think why they would.
	2)  The line or mark on the flywheel should be at 12 o'clock also (mine
was machined off in the lightening process).
	3)  Bolt the flywheel up with the trigger pin located at 2 o'clock when
viewed from the back of the engine (ie the trigger pin is in alignment with the
second bolt from the top bolt in the clockwise direction).
	4)  The height of the trigger pin is even with the bottom of the ring
gear teeth (I shimmed mine up about 4mm after the lightening process).
	5)  I measured the clearance between the sensor and the trigger pin with
a piece of clay once everything was together to verify.  Both the ring gear
sensor and the trigger pin sensor have ~1mm gap (pretty tight, huh!)

	Bob Wandel also showed me a trick to prolong ring gear life.  The engine
has a tendency to stop in one or maybe two locations.  So the starter motor
tends to engage these teeth first.  If you look, you can see an uneven wear
pattern where this engagement occurs.  If you rotate the ring gear (mine was off
the flywheel) by 60deg or one bolt hole, then the starter will engage fresher
teeth.  Granted, I have over 170K on my motor, and had to look really hard to
detect the wear pattern.  But it's worth a thought (especially if there is no
special crank-flywheel alignment on the Spica or Motronic Spiders).
	On a related topic, my flywheel has the special ring spacer insert
between the bolts and flywheel (can't figure out what it does other than make
sure the bolts don't bottom out) without anylocktabs.  You have to use Locktite
to keep things bolted together.

Cheers,
Charlie S
'89 Spider