Re: Loose Steering Rack on 164

The steering wheel on my 164S had about 2 inches of side-to-side play in
it when I got the car four years ago. I feared the usual: A bad steering
rack. While getting an alignment, the shop called me into the bay to
tell me they couldn't set the steering wheel to track straight ahead,
until the bushings were replaced that hold the rack in place. They
showed me how the rack was able to shift from side-to-side when the
steering wheel was turned. The bushings had disintegrated. After
replacing the rack mounting bushings (a frustrating job as access is
really poor), and getting the steering wheel lined-up, the steering has
zero play.

As these cars age, it's a good idea to keep ahead of not only the
obvious 164 stuff- cam belt, tensioner, ECU sensors, steppers and all-
but to also look after the electrical connectors, hoses, clamps and
bushings that may look fine, but are approaching 10 years old. Better to
replace them now than when they scream for your attention.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
ARA
AROC