re: 164 hesitates in cornering

I wouldn't go looking for this first, but my '91 164 L had a hesitation
this summer in left hand corners.  It wouldn't cut out completely, but
would seem to lose maybe half of its power.  It was driveable, but not
on curvy roads.  I looked through all of the hoses and tested everything
electrical I could find, then finally threw in the towel and took it to
the shop.  They changed the main fuel filter and tried a new AFM with no
effect, and fuel pressure tested out OK.  Then they swapped in a new
computer and the problem was solved (but not cheaply, and not without
significant head scratching).  I would look first for an electrical
connector that's being tugged when the car turns left, or a fuel
delivery issue (plugged filter, or the pickup line in the tank split).

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA
'91 164 L
'74 2000 GT Veloce