Re: gasoline formulations

karld@domain.elided wrote:

> > All the brands in a given region of California are the same formula -
> > mandated by State law. If you have bad gas, it's from the station not
> > the brand.
>
> I don't agree, but have no hard data to disagree with.
>
> I believe there are minimum requirements, but not exact mandated formulations. The pipelines and refineries may be shared to some extent, but the commonality must have limits. Do all gasoline companies use the same additives that Chevron touts and charges extra for? Doubtful...Can anyone support either theory?

Karl,

The state mandates the basic formulation according to the region and
time of year.

There may be very slight differences in the total formula from brand to
brand but I think it's fair to say these are completely insignificant.
All the oil companies except one share information about their
chemistry. The one applied for and received a patent but this may be
more a financial maneuver based on being first rather than an indication
of a noticeably different, let alone superior, product.

Gasoline is a commodity to the extent that, if you go to one company's
distribution center or refinery, you will find other major brands'
tankers filling up there. Is that a clue?

Feed your 164 Chevron if you prefer but I would say the important detail
is the octane rather than the brand. I tried 90 for a while and, while
th engine didn't ping, I agree that the 24-valve runs better on 91 to
which I have reverted. (92 is, of course, no longer readily available.)
I've been using mainly but certainly not exclusively ARCO (because it is
usually cheaper) in my Alfas for years and they have shown no signs of
suffering from an varied diet.

Nicky