re: image mongering

If Alfa/GM goes the route of image mongering I doubt we'll see Alfas that
anyone could be passionate about. Certainly a building autos that don't break
down and hold their value would keep more customers, but what use would it be
if those autos did not have the Alfa personality.

Looking at BMW I see several layers of customers, M3 drivers who frequent our
NWARC track days at one end and my realtor in her 3 series convertible at the
other. I assume BMW couldn't be a successful company with just the M series
owners. They seem adept at providing product for both racers and realtors with
the sporting image well earned by the rockets and rubbing off on the rest of
the product line. A while back another digester commented that a coworker BMW
owner didn't even know how many cylinders were under the hood. I can assure
you we see an very knowledgeable group of Bimmers at the track who we would be
proud to have as Alfisti. So after much rambling it seems the dilemma is for
Alfa to really reach out at the GTA end of the product line and build cars
that have both Alfa style and can beat everyone's butt while building
something reliable and desirable in enough numbers to support our fun. Anyone
have an idea as to how many run of the mill Bimmers get built for every hot
one?

Fortunately I still believe that most folks that rise to the top of their
businesses (and I not just talking CEOs) have some passion for what they
build. Here in Seattle I can assure you that most folks that do well at Boeing
have some passion for flight. Looking at German automakers I see the same. I
worry a bit about Jack Welch in all this, smart yes, driven yes, but does he
care about what he drives?

Emmo - 72 GTV and dreams of a 147 with 2L and selespeed or perhaps a 156
Sportwagon to replace Jane's VW Piss-at.