Re: Beat It

Biba,

	Do you have the old one (rear trunion/gearbox bush) out yet?   I've done
two so far, and they are harder to get out than to get in.

	To remove:   Support the tranny with a jack, remove bolt securing
transaxle to chassis.  Remove parking brake cable from passenger side
brake caliper.  Lower transaxle to allow access to bushing...  be
careful not to damage flexible brake hose.   It should be long enough to
allow access to the bushing.

	Now you need to attack the bushing which probably now has the consistancy
of tar.   I used a big drill bit, and turned it into swiss cheese.  You
should be able to tear the center out of it.   Using a utility knife, or
some other method clear away some of the rubber exposing the steel shell
of the bushing (it's sandwiched in between the ribbed rubber/plastic
outside, and the inner rubber bush.)   Take a cold chisel, get it under
the lip of the shell, and hammer it up towards the center of the
bushing.   This will cause it to tear away from the transaxle casting,
and eventually you can pull it out.   You can also try a hacksaw, but
I'm better with hammers.  (If you have a pnuematic hammer go for it...)

	To install:  First clean up the hole...   I used a small SS brush on my
die grinder to remove all the left over bits of rubber.   The hole
should be nice and clean.   I then took a little dish soap, and water to
help lubricate the new bushing.   Squeeze the new bushing in with a
C-Clamp and some scrap wood to protect the bushing and transaxle.   Take
care to make sure it goes in straight...   Make final adjustments with
hammer.

	Should probably take less than 2 hours if you have some air tools, and
don't have any catastrophes along the way.

	For the front bushing (I assume you mean the deDion bush...) put your OEM
bush away, and call AlfaBill and order a polyurethane one.   It comes in
two pieces and you just press 'em in with your hand.   Plus the
polyurethane is theoretically better for handling anyway.   Installing
the OEM dedion bush (in situ) is a real nut buster, and requires some
creative pressing, hammering, swearing, etc.

Tip:  To remove watts link bushes, sway bar bushes etc...   Remove from
car.   Use propane torch to gently heat the metal surrounding the bush.
   As the plastic shell melts they will slide right out.   Do this
outside cause the plastic will smoke/burn.   You don't need to get the
metal very hot, so you don't have to worry about changing it's
mechancial characteristics.

	--Mark
	--1988 Milano Verde