Rear main oil leak

I have finally got around to replacing the rear main oil seal in my 87
spider 2000, and as the motor and gearbox were out for another job, I
thought it would be quite simple, but after removing the flywheel it became
obvious that the oil was leaking from the sides of the rear main and not the
center seal.
The only workshop manual that I have is for a 74 2000, and it shows two long
seals (plugs) for the sides of the end cap, I know the sump will have to
come off but can these be replaced without removing the end cap?
Any tips for doing this job would be greatly appreciated.
I also noticed the rear main cap does not sit flush with the rear face of
the block, it is OK at the top and sit out 1-2 mm at the bottom, Is this
normal? This is a low mileage motor (40k) and has not been apart before.

Thanks, Terry.
Dunedin NZ