Berlina/berlina

Leo writes, referring to the distinction between a descriptive 'berlina' and a
model name 'Berlina', "And, here, it wasn't never used with the "B" when
describing the 1750 and 2000 sedan. I know you in US call our 1750 and 2000
sedan "berlina" (I have the official brochures) but in Italy the range was so
called: 1750, 1750 gtv, 1750 spider veloce. The same for the 2000 range."

There may be room for a question here. D'Amico & Tabucchi agree with him; they
list 1750 GT Veloce, 1750 Spider Veloce, and 1750, 2000, 2000 GT Veloce, 2000
Spider Veloce. But Luigi Fusi is consistent, despite very occasional lapses;
caratteristiche tecniche modello Giulia T.I., caratteristiche tecniche modello
Giulia Super, caratteristiche tecniche modello 1750 Berlina, caratteristiche
tecniche modello 2000 Berlina, caratteristiche tecniche modello Alfetta.

I won't dispute customary names in casual use in different countries, but if
Luigi Fusi, writing a definitive work of scholarship at Arese in the
mid-seventies, called the 1750/2000 cars 'Berlina', and the 1600 and 116 cars
'berlina', we in the USA at least have had good company.

Respectfully,

John H.