Re: Cams/HP Ignition/Vent Window

Hi Gabriel:

Here are a few answers for you.

1)  The cam.  Why not just call or email Centerline, as they're the ones
selling the cam, and also the ones responsible if you have an installation
problem?  I do believe the cam is a drop-in, though.  You'll need some new
shims to adjust the valves on that half of the head, and also new locking
hardware for the chain drive end of the cam.

2)  The RML ignition.  I've contacted them in the past, and for whatever
reasons, was not impressed with the "honesty" or knowledge/experience of
the person I spoke to.  I've heard from a few reliable sources that the
distributor is not in fact modified at all, at least with regard to any
"custom" advance curve.  The word is that it's a $35 Brazilian-made
Bosch/VW 009, with the stock VW curve.  I can't verify any of that as fact,
but can tell you that RML declined to tell me what the curve or max advance
specs were, nor could they apply their mods to a Bosch distributor that I
would supply.  Also, the parts to build your own version of any of their
systems are available elsewhere, and for lots less money.  Their lower-end
systems use Crane ignition boxes and coils, and the more expensive
multi-tap coil system (also sold by Centerline) is available from
Compu-Fire (more VW parts).

http://www.cranecams.com/CraneCams.htm

http://www.compufire.com/

If you put the parts together yourself, there are a few things to be wary
of.  Finding a proper distributor (i.e. NOT a stock 009) can be tough.  On
my '74 Spica-injected Spider, I used an old Bosch/Alfa 044 distributor,
which works extremely well (with a Crane XR3000 spark box and LX91
coil).  Any used distributor should be considered only if it's in good
condition (i.e. bushings, advance mechanism, etc.) and if the advance curve
is suitable for your engine application.  Advance specs for Alfa engines
vary widely between the older carb'd cars, the various Spica models, and
the Bosch L-Jet cars.  These varied specs also might lead one to beleive
that the "custom" advance curve that Centerline and RML (and IAP, too)
speak of doesn't exist, as one curve won't be ideal for all Alfa
4's.  Again, I'm speaking from personal experience, only with my Spider and
various systems I have put together.  The biggest change I got in
performance came from resetting the idle-speed timing from 5 degrees ATDC
to 5 degrees BTDC.  About the 10 HP gain, that might be a stretch, but my
car starts and revs easier, and idles and runs smoother than it did with
the stock Marelli distributor/points/coil system.  On my older car,
reliability of the points-type ignition would also be more of a
consideration than with your newer Bosch car that already has a breakerless
ignition.

3)  Can't help with the vent window problem.  I didn't know there was an
adjustment.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
'74 Spider Veloce