164 door lock and the criminal mind

It may not be widely known, but a popular method of stealing cars is to use
a pair of barber's scissors. These are used in an unspecified way (no sense
in popularizing the method any more than necessary) to steal mainly cheap
domestics and some Japanese cars. Most European cars are immune to this
method but the dimbulbs (are they employable even?) that resort to this
activity are of course fairly ignorant and occasionally try it on for size
with your beloved Alfa. My 1984 SAAB 900T and my 1998 Mazda Protege have
both been blessed with such unsuccessful attacks. The result is a sturdily
unstolen car with a driver's door lock in various states of violation. In
the case of my sturdy SAAB lock, it continued to operate but not very
happily, a new lock was the cure. In the case of the Mazda, the lock would
not accept the key.

If the metal watershield in the lock is trashed then chances are very high
that it has been barber scissored. Sometimes the barber scissor blade
breaks off in the lock which prevents the key from being inserted all the
way. More often, the lock tumblers get a thrashing which causes them to
bind or refuse to operate. You can lube such a lock forever without
improving the performance. Replacement is the only solution. Now if I ever
catch one of these cretins trying this on for size with my car he may be
able to get a job with a circus as a sword swallower ......
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner