Garages From Hell (Channel 3 UK TV)

Just been watching "Garages from Hell 2002"  on ITV which features motor trade
scams. Regrettably, the only main dealer featured in tonights episode was a
Fiat/Alfa dealer called Auto Italia in Croydon, South London who have
allegedly been carrying out work that was deemed unnecessary not only by the
'experts' but also by other Alfa dealers. The reporters sent in a Fiat Punto
that was previously checked out as being in good condition overall, for a
service. The customer was told the rear main oil seal was leaking and had
contaminated the clutch, that the brake pads needed replacing and an engine
mount had failed. None of these was true and what should have been a 150 pound
service bill became well over 1,000 pounds. They showed the parts, and the old
clutch parts looked fine to me, on the other hand I felt the wear evident in
the brake pads just about justified changing them even though they estimated
there was 3000 miles left in them.  A GTV owner and a Fiat van owner also
testified to gross overcharging for work not needed. ( The GTV owner was told
he needed 4 new shock aborbers at 27k miles. Another Alfa dealer told him this
was nonsense). The garage was evidently on a roll.

In fairness I think Auto Italia are an exception, but I have to say that my
nervousness about taking my Alfa to any Alfa dealer stems from a belief that
they don't want to see you go unless your pocket is 1000 pounds lighter. Lets
face it they have to cover the overheads of impressive premises somehow don't
they !!!.

The Fiat Stilo had just gone on sale here and the TV campaign is in full
swing. It looks OK on the adverts but as ever I shall reserve judgment on its
looks until I can get my grubby paws on the paintwork of a real one.

Tim Hancock   164TS Lusso  Boston UK