re: Crushing of Over 15 Year Old Cars

David -

I think the logic goes something like this:

Newer cars must pass more stringent emissions tests.  The sooner we get
the "older" cars off the road, the sooner we get cleaner air.

What I think they are not taking completely into account is that some of
the older cars (many of ours, for instance) are in the hands of those
who will keep them running well.  Unfortunately, I am assuming, many
more elderly statesmen of the highways are in the hands of those who
don't have the desire or inclination to even put a set of new spark
plugs in his/her cheap transportation module.  Hence, even higher
emissions.  Catalytic converter needs replacement?  Easier and cheaper
to find someone who can weld in a straight pipe than to spend one to two
hundred to put in a new converter.  Of course this will work, in terms
of reg and smog checks as long as there are those who will smog a car
with the attitude of, "Don't ask any questions, and I won't have to
lie."

You get the picture I am sure.  So, without any exceptions to this sort
of draconian rule, we are all, good and bad, lumped together.

My two cents' worth.

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal - home of Alfiesta - AROC-US Nat'l Convention - Jul 4-7, 2002

Further reading by James Montebello (got that  right?) mentions fuel
economy as the driving motivation behind this concept, this time.  (In
California, it has mostly been about emissions and smog control.) Also,
that this is NOT mandatory crushing to remove vehicles off the highways.
 It is an *incentive*, to help get older, dirtier, less efficient cars
into the recycling program.  $500  still won't provide enough economic
help for someone who can barely afford basic transportation, much less a
new car.  And, it should have the effect of driving up the price of good
running, older grocery-getters.  The price of progress (tongue in cheek)
 Heck, it'll drive (pun intended this time) more people onto mass
transit, which can barely break even, and that *with* gummint subsidies.
 (rant mode = off)

Ciao

And even more on this subject, after getting caught up in reading.  I
believe that in CA, there is a provision that if you can get to a car
destined to be crushed you can buy it from the state.  Proviso is that
they pour sand into two of the cylinders, so the motor will HAVE to be
rebuilt before going back on the road.  So, you have to be there when
the car in question is in line for the guillotine, money in hand, with a
tow truck or flat bed waiting in the lot.  Small hope,though.  If true,
as I have heard.

jn