Re: Kinda Scary look into the future

Another thing you omitted. These new all-electronic computerized systems use
a number of custom and semi-sustom digital integrated circuits. The
manufacturing and design technology for I.C.s changes far more rapidly than
that used in the automotive world that we have known. There is almost no
possibility that "re-manufactured" chips will be available as these
now-current cars reach their 20th birthdays. It's equally unlikely that
these I.C.s will be available in some bin of NOS somewhere. When they're
gone, they're gone forever. Even the fabrication equipment for the chips
will be long gone as the technology advances. For example, a very popular
technology used for integrated circuits in the '70s and '80s was something
called "Low Powered Schottkey Bipolar." These parts are absolutely
unavailable today. Texas Instruments made them by the zillion under the part
number "74LS xxxx". Those were standard parts and used in all kinds of
digital equipment. Now, the parts are custom designs and used in specific
manufacturers automotive products. That makes it even more unlikely that any
replacement parts will be available.
I think I'll just have to keep my '69 Alfa Spider, my '67 Lancia Fulvia
Zagato, my Milano Verde - even my Fiat Turbo Spider, until I part this
mortal coil. Sad to say, the next generation of car enthusiasts  will not
have the fun and challenge of rebuilding engines and drivetrains using
machine shop tools that we old farts have had. I doubt that the future
restoration shops will have access to a year 2000 vintage wafer fabrication
facility to get those 2002 BMWs and Mercedes back on the road again.
Regards,
--John Cecil
<jcecil@domain.elided>
<jcecil@domain.elided>