what's the world coming to?

At 8:54 AM -0500 2/22/02, alfa-digest wrote:
>They also suggest that a 4x4 off-road
>vehicle is in the pipeline for 2004

First Porsche, and now Volvo and Alfa are supposedly introducing
trucks that will pretend to be cars.  What's the world coming to when
two famous sports car manufacturers, and the company founded on
motoring safety introduce examples of a vehicular genre that is the
least sporting, and least safe out there?  BMW, M-B I can swallow,
but Porsche, Alfa and Volvo?  As unsettling as it is, I'd rather be
passed on the freeway by a soccer mom doin 90mph and talking on her
cell phone in her Explorer than see any of those famous badges
reduced to being stuck on a truck masquerading as a passenger car.