164LS vs. The World--operating costs

Nicky wrote:

>I bought mine 26 months ago at about 54,500 and it now has 88,500 on it. I
>was utterly shocked to find that some things broke and various
>consumables wore out. Allowing $5,000 for depreciation, which may or may
>not be realistic, I'd say I was running a bit less than you guys at
>about 37 cents/mile plus 1/2 cent a mile for insurance.
>
>Working it backwards I think I get about the same average mileage as you
>do, Karl, i.e. about 22 mpg in  mainly city and urban freeway driving. I
>don't count gas too much as I'd have to put a certain
>amount in any car.
>
>I suspect my slightly lower cost/mile could be becuase of either my
>higher mileage (as I believe in maintenance) and/or my allowing less for
>depreciation.

[snip]

>Vasco, you say they'll suck us dry and that may be true in dollar terms but
>I'm not sure it's really true in relative terms. My car was built in '94 as
>a '95 and, if you look at what a 6 1/2-year old 164LS is i.e. a reasonably
>lux. but elderly sports sedan and compare it with German, Japanese or
>British equivalents, is 40 cents/mile so outrageous
>especially if we compare similar mileages? I don't know: I'd be
>interested to know what others think.
>
>Nicky

My experience with this market segment is with my--moment of silence for a
flood victim--late* Audi urS4. I purchased it w. 46K on the clock and
extended warranty. The cost-per-mile went off the scale when the repairs (I
am, to my everlasting shame, nothing but a humble checkbook mechanic,
capable of changing a flat, adding oil/coolant/fuel and once I replaced a
gas cap) went off-warranty. Having said that, even WITH the various repairs
covered by warranty the cost-per-mile came out to ~42 cents, which includes
depreciation. If I had sold it (rather than have to settle w. the insurance
co.) the figure may have been somewhat (high 30s?) lower and had I sold it
before the off-warranty repairs took hold...I might have even made a profit.
:-)

-Joe in reasonably sunny SoFla

*It just occurred to me that my last three cars, going back to 1992 have ALL
been no-fault-of-my-own total losses (2 T-bones & 1 flood).