Re: Special Editions ('82 retrofit/upgrade subset)

RE: Special Editions ('82 retrofit upgrade subset)

Michael "Joisey Boi" Sweigart writes:

"My 82 GTV6 has what I was told is a "Maratona Body Kit"- I have never seen
reference of these kits for sale.

"It was originally being offered for sale as a Maratona, but there were no 82
Maratonas..."

A "1985-1986 Alfa Romeo Accessories Price List" from Alfa Romeo Inc. in
Englewood Cliffs NJ (NOT Alfa Romeo SpA, Arese), effective July 1985 listed:

6501 Rear license panel GTV 6    69.00

6509 Air dam kit Maratona     1,876.19

6522 Rocker panel Maratona      315.35

6523 L/front spoiler maratona   337.00

6524 R/front spoiler Maratona   337.00

6525 Front spoiler Maratona     394.00

6526 R/rear spoiler Maratona    337.00

6527 L/rear spoiler Maratona    337.00

6900 Rear window louver         182.80

Assuming that one would want two gussie-up rocker panels, the parts 6522-6527,
which I assume would constitute one 6509, would total $2,372.70, making the
#6509 kit something of a bargain. Adding the louvers and the plate panel to
the #6509 kit gives $2,127.99 plus S & H, sales tax, paint, and installation.
Oops, left out the $94.82 Cibie fog lamp kit. The engine view-port replacing
the standard tea-tray is not listed, nor are the halogen headlamps.

Howard Jacobs  mentioned "that the flares and side skirts were made by a
company in NJ." I had understood that they had been "made in Italy in some
shop owned by a friend of the parts mangler (sic)" in NJ, but the facts are
long-buried and probably not too significant; either way it is a curious
sidebar to the history of Alfa marketing in the USA.

Cheers

John H.