Re: Air Pump

In a message dated 3/24/2002 12:41:00 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: Air pumps, tattoos & rear engined cars
>
> Where's Eric Storhok??  I don't understand why you'd have an air pump
> on a car with no cat.  Was the idea just to dilute the exhaust with
> fresh air to lower the percentage of pollutants coming out the
> tailpipe?

The roll of the air pump was to provide a source of air to complete the
burning of unburned hydrocarbons coming out of the cylinder into the exhaust
stream.  Air pumps were/are NOT used in conjunction with cats, rather... the
use of cats allowed the removal of the despised air pumps.

Jerry in Houston