Miata seats in my Spider

Subject: Miata seats in a Spider

Joe Cantrell put such seats in his '72 and they are WAY more comfortable than
I remember my stock '87 Spider, or Greg Miller's '90 Spider.  Joe posted the
installation procedure in the digest a few months ago.  If he is lurking,
maybe he will do it again.

Joe???

Gordy Hyde
simply on the edge

Joe Kollmann, who is more capable than anyone has any right to be, and I put
Miata leather seats in my Spider last summer.  Cost was less than having the
bottom, ONLY, of my stock driver's seat restitched.  Briefly, we flattened the
slight bends in the ends of the Miata seat mounting rails and welded simple
tabs to the inside rails, to use my stock mounting points.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I sit a little higher.  I'm 5'7"
so it's not a problem for me unless I try to pass a real competition roll bar
height test.  For street driving, I prefer things the way they are, but Mr.
Neely probably wouldn't like them for official gofast.

Someone else wants cloth covered seats; there are cloth covered Miata ones
that are less costly than leather and would be excellent, IMHO, in a Spider.
Or a GTV.

I would like to say that riding around PIR in Greg Miller's '90 Spider with
Gordy at our track day was very pleasant.  My '72 is light, has Rugh springs
and Sachs Sporting Gas shocks, which are stiff, plus AlfaBill's Superurethane
bushings.  It's pretty firm riding.  The '90 is bone stock, several hundred
pounds heavier, but acquitted itself gracefully on the track.  I know from the
pictures I made of Gordy that we must have had considerable body lean and the
suspension was certainly softer, but all in all it was a good ride.  I would
not change a thing on my car, but the stocker has its own charms.  I wish I
could afford one of each.

Joe
slightly beyond the edge once, going into the chicane...