Fuel Filling Transaxle Cars, and Effective Siphon Pumps?

Charlie,

I recall reading a detailed fix for fueling difficulties in the Milano.  The problem was supposedly connected with the routing of the breather hose for the tank, which allows air to escape as gas is put in.  This hose contained a sag or dip, and over time excess gasoline would collect in the droop.  Once the quantity had built up sufficiently, it created enough resistance to trigger the cutoff switch on many pumps.  The fix was to remove the hose, drain it, and then reinstall without the sag to prevent future problems.  Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me remember where I read about it, or I would have posted the link to the digest.  Not sure if the same problem applies to the GTV6, although the gas tank setup is probably similar.  Haven't tried this method yet, so I cannot vouch for it.

I have experienced the same problem with my own Milano.  One time I was only able to get gas into it by holding the nozzle part way into the filler.  While it was filling I inadvertantly pulled it out too far, allowing the spring flap to close and redirect the flow of gasoline onto my hands, clothes, and shoes.  Despite extended cleaning efforts in the gas station restroom, I stank of the stuff for the remainder of the trip.  Anyone who has splashed gasoline on their skin will tell you that the smell is very persistant - still present even after a shower!  It also contains benzene, a highly toxic and carcinogenic chemical.  I had not tried the "upside-down" trick others mention, but if you do anything to defeat the cutoff I strongly recommend not standing in the direct line of fire.  As has already been stated, you do this at your own risk.

BTW, I've been trying to drain the old gas out of my Sprint, but the cheap siphon pump I got at Pep Boys does nothing at all.  After one round of messy draining, exposing myself to gasoline again and stinking out my garage, I'd be interested to hear what methods people use to extract gas more cleanly, safely, and without damage to the environment.  I and my family will thank you!

Dave J.
Island Lake, IL
1987 Milano Verde
1964 2600 Sprint