Re: welding

> From: Richard Bies <bies@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: welding

> Using a MIG welder is cheating.

If cheating = simple and effective, you are correct.

> It <is> possible to butt-weld sheet metal oxy-acetylene -- using the spot
> at a time method outlined -- with a small torch (usually called "aircraft
> torch") -- AIRCO Model 0400 or the like -- handle less tip just under 6".
> Possibly out of production by now -- if you are lucky at garage/estate
> sales, you can also find the neat miniature cutting attachment which
> screws into this handle.

If you have the skill, I'd agree with one small exception:   You
shouldn't use a torch to weld high-strength steel.   The use of high
strength steel is more and more common on new cars, and the heat from
the torch will destroy this.

Smith makes "The little torch" and Meco makes the "Midget" torch...
there are others too.   http://www.tinmantech.com/ is a big proponent of
welding with gas torches (even with Aluminum.)   He's also a master
metalcrafter, and makes it look easy.

I have a good Smith torch, and have to say it doesn't see much use
(compared to the MIG welder.)  Being able to weld on the car without
worring (as much) about lighting something on fire... being able to hold
a patch with one hand and quickly tack it with another... welding in
really cramped areas...

Those damn auto-body books always show a guy splicing on a new fender
with easy access to the front and back of the weld.   They never show a
guy flat on his back, welding overhead,  holding a lamp with one hand
welding in a patch that has no access to the back...   That's what at
least 50% of my welding is like.

BTW if you are thinking about buying a MIG welder, don't be shy about
buying a used unit.   I'm the proud owner of a 1971 Millermatic 35S.
  I found mine online http://www.bargaintraderonline.com/adsearch.html
for $200 with a box of spares.   Miller still has parts and manuals
availible for these old machines...  No worries there.

And if you have any questions about welding check out the usenet
newsgroup:  sci.engr.joining.welding   The regulars on that newsgroup
are fantastic.  You can learn a lot just lurking.

	--Mark