viscous coupling

Sonny wrote:

>In descriptions of the viscous coupling (of the center differential), it says
that when the >fluid heats up, it offers more resistance. Isn't this
counterintuitive? The lubricants I can >otherwise think of (e.g. engine oil)
get thinner as they heat up. Could someone explain?

I'm sure someone can answer this in detail (Erik?) but I think the key is, the
fluid inside a viscous coupling is not a lubricant.  It's a fluid that's
formulated to do just what you say -- increase in resistance as heat
increases.  I seem to recall this stuff  is some sort of silicone with a
molecular structure (short?) that provides a lot of "grip".

I'll stop pretending to be smart now.

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800CS