re: tow rigs

Scott Fisher <sfisher71@domain.elided> wrote:

>And that's really the advice -- don't put together a
>marginal rig if you can afford to put together an
>adequate one.  And if you can afford overkill... it's
>really, really nice if you can justify it to yourself.

If it turns you on, and your loan officer is willing, then by all means get
an F-350 Super Dooley Turbodiesel 4x4 with chrome stacks, 16-bolt alloy
wheels, and all the other big rig geegaws your lifestyle requires.  It's an
unwary Alfista who criticises another man's automotive passion.  I merely
hoped to suggest that an occasional racer might just possibly find a
workable tow rig somewhere between a $600 Pontiac station wagon with a
homemade open trailer and a $40,000 diesel pickup with a $15,000 enclosed
transporter.

Passions are personal, but, although my first car was a '61 Ford F-100 and
I've lived with trucks for must of my adult life, they don't kindle my
desire.   Trucks are tools to get a job done and little more.   The one I
have now is quite nice, with comfortable seating for 4, air conditioning, a
good sound system and cupholders, in addition to the ability to tow a
trailer and haul big, heavy, dirty things.  But I don't enjoy driving it
and don't work on it or even wash it myself.  When it wears out I'll get
rid of it.

Enough of this off-topic rambling; I'm going out to the garage to work on
the Alfas.

Dana