164 ac trick...

    This may be old news to some, (DUg sEdin)? but I did a cool little trick
to the 168 last night.... I have to do some daytime transport of the future
"she who must be obeyed" and my air con was in trouble, not a good
combination... looks like the culprit was a tired expansion valve.

Not having time to deal with it for a while, I brought it in yesterday for
repairs and have been juggling a rental car and borrowed 164s (Thanks Brad)!
with good air. I hate to sweat, man....

My "168" always seemed to leak heat, not an urgent need in subtropical
Florida. I figured with an always hot heater core, the slightest leak will
raise a/c temps in any mode. How to kill the flow? I went to the national Alfa
parts source, (Home Depot) and bought a ball valve and 2 nylon barb fittings,
a couple hose clamps and installed this inline to the heater core supply hose
under the coolant bottle. Open, refill coolant, bleed air and as the Aussies
say, "Bob's your uncle", a simple on / off for the hot water flow. After warm
up and air purge, I shut off the valve and then went for a ride. With the
trusty thermometer, (thanks Brad!!) I found a decrease of about 8-10 degrees.

Clean install, total cost around $10. You mileage may vary, Alway use
protection, blah blah...

Bill
Mastro Motors Inc. 800.683.2532
Subaru, MRT Performance parts for WRX