distributor rattlings and ramblings

Dave,
I just Crane-coverted a Marelli distributor that exhibited the same malady.
The rotor seemed to strike the cap pins. The thing is, I didn't notice any
perceptable play in the rotor shaft. The rotor and the internal pins may have
developed a little crud (try a little sandpaper or an ignition file) , the
cap may not be seated properly (check for wires that may be pinched at the
cap seat). I have yet to mount the distributor that I recently worked on...so
I don't really know if the problem will continue. I have never heard what the
actual tolerances between the rotor and the distributor pins are. I imagine
they are in tight proximity on the fly-by, thereby physical contact could be
very destructive. This would be a good question to place before the Digest.
Please let me know what you find out.

Greg in Somers Point