Re: alfa-digest V8 #727

On Tuesday, May 14, 2002, at 12:18 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

> "Both the factory systems and factory-supported
> dealer-installed systems for Bosch engines could be fitted to a '71
> along with
> a Bosch engine, and could probably be installed on a carbureted car
> (whether
> factory carbed or retrofitted) but not on a Spica-equipped car, as the
> rotary
> compressor goes in the space dedicated to the Spica pump."

Not true.  I installed a Behr AC system from an 86 Spider in my 78 Spica
Spider.  Some of it I got personally from a junked Spider, some came via
a phone call (APE, I believe).  The compressor mounts on the drivers
side above the alternator.  I did end up with two different mounting
brackets that both put the compressor in the same place.  One was
aluminum, one was steel.  I was told by an Alfa mechanic to go with the
steel version because he had seen the aluminum ones crack.
Have fun with it.  It is not a job I would do again.

Tony Martie
78 Spider w/AC
71 Spider for sale  (see it here:  http://tmpd.net/71spider.jpg)
TM PhotoDesign