Calling all Alfa Judges and anal Spider owners

Okay, I work on mostly Series I and II Spiders.

Their body's (I'm quite convinced) were more than somewhat flawed, right
out of the chute (as in birth, as in brand new).

Have a pristine, never restored I or II Spider lurking in your garage?

Take a longish straight edge out to the garage and  place it across the
lower front (directly behind the front wheel arch) panel and the lower
portion of the door.

Voila! There shall (not merely 'will'  be) at least a 3/16th gap / low
spot  (probably more) at the lower edge of the door to forward panel.

Have you ever noticed this? Does it bother you?

My theory is that when crimping down the lower leading door edge, it
pulls the panel in.

This does not mean to say the rest of the doors line up precisely with
perfect gaps / shut lines. Quite the contrary.

Let's say you know of what I speak and are the head judge of a concours.
Do you give brownie points for the panels lining up precisely or do you
give them (brownie points) for the way they came (flawed) from the
factory?

This restorer wants to know.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Your same theory / thinking / opinion also applies to the hood which
bends slightly (pulls in) at the trailing edge when closed. Does /
should one make it absolutely 'correct' when open (relaxed), or when
closed (under tension)?

Nope. Can't have both.