164LS Key Release button

These was some whining a few months back about the key release being a difficult one-handed maneuver on the 164LS and Q (If you're not a Norte Americano, I'm referring to the 1994 and 1995 24 valve models).

I recently found a cheap and elegant way to disable it: Remove the plastic cover over the back-up release button under the steering column. Pull the release button and wrap the shaft of the button with a wire tie. That will permanently hold the button in the "release" position.

It requires a bit of manual dexterity or maybe a helping hand. It does not,however,  require screwdrivers, drills, large hammers, or other irreversible destructive actions...

Karl