Re: No, not SPICA vs Webers again!

on 6/16/02 5:09 AM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:03:32 -0400
> From: Dana Loomis <dloomis@domain.elided>
> Subject: re: No, not SPICA vs Webers again!
>
> Ed in SC wrote
>> For every question to this list about carb problems, there are about 20 for
>> SPICA.
>
> Perhaps, but that's more likely to reflect the kinds of cars owned by list
> members than the relative reliability of those cars.  Although I've never
> kept count, I suspect there are more questions about Bosch FI or--for that
> matter--164 power seat switches than about Weber carbs, for the same reason.
>
> Statistical questions aside, I agree with Ed's assessment of the merits of
> Weber carburetors.  All of my current Alfas have them, and they are trouble
> free when properly set up.   The same can be said for the SPICA injection
> system, however, and injection provides smoother power delivery and good
> driveability under a wider range of conditions.  Both systems are good and
> deserve to be left on the cars they came with.
>
> Dana Loomis

I would only like to add to the above, that the only real disadvantage to
the SPICA system (per Wes Ingram at a tech session that I attended last fall
where he lectured) is that due to the pump design, they tend to leak
gasoline into the engine oil after awhile. I'd also like to say, that were
it not for Wes, at least here in the States, everybody would have to
eventually replace their SPICAs with Webbers (or some other solution) or
scrap their cars.