re: tea tray theories

The downdraft carb theory seems fairly plausible, however I don't think that the 'tea tray' is lined up correctly over the engine. I could be wrong, but I think that the opening would have been somewhat longer to accomodate the downdraft carbs as used on the Alfa 6. A stock Alfa 6 airbox can be seen at http://www.imw-alfa.com/000/img/n1/MVC-296F.jpg (although the pictures shows a very much *not* stock installation in a '73 GTV by Hans Milo). I was also thinking that that the Alfa 6 Dellorto setup was shorter than the tall plenum for the L-Jet on later 2.5 and 3.0 V6's, but it appears to be about the same height in the picture. The Alfa 6 (I'm talking about the car again, not the engine) airbox also uses a side intake, although I suppose it's possible that they had an entirely different setup planned for the GTV6--maybe 3 twin-choke downdraft Webers would have been taller than the 6 Dellortos used on the sedan? But I also have to wonder if Alfa Romeo would really have equipped a car with a hood scoop in 1981? The Montreal had a fake scoop a decade earlier, but somehow I can't imagine a European sports car of the early '80s being designed with a hood scoop. Considering the changes made to the Alfetta's cowl HVAC intakes and the vents at the rear corners, and the addition of the side skirts to the GTV6, I'm fairly convinced that chunky plastic crap was very hip at the time, and the tea tray is there for purely asthetic reasons, although you do have to wonder why it wasn't just glued on top of a flat bulge if that was the case. (Those of you that were alive in 1981 can discuss the relative merits of that theory.) I do like the plenum pop theory, though. It certainly explains the otherwise-assinine loop in the fuel line for the cold start injector (mine is upside down, and I did have to replace the hose the last time the plenum popped). But I have to wonder if it would really dent the hood. If not, putting a brittle plastic panel there seems stupid.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6 ISO master cylinder, headlight switch.