Used Cats and Bozos

Alfisti:

It's been interesting and instructive to listen to the interchange on used catalytic converters. Appparently, I started this latest round when I posted a request for a (used) cat for my 91S a few days ago.

This won't nor should it end the debate, but here is another perspective.

"We're all bozos on this bus," to quote a non-famous but great 60s comedy group called FireSign Theatre. Meaning, we are all in this Alfa thing together.

We apparently share a love, addiction or other bond with Alfas. The fact that we labor to keep cars that are not even in production (in the U.S.) on the road is testament to that fact. Yes, using a used cat is a "no-no" especially in California.
Even if using one enables your vehicle to meet the emission standards by doing so, it's a "no-no".

Even if your poorly running Alfa uses more gas and adds to pollution with an overly rich exhaust coming out the rear, it's a "no-no".

Even if focusing on the cat while turning a blind eye to other parts of the emission control system that may be replaced with new or used components without regulatory infringement, it's a "no-no".

And even if my fellow American sitting in a behemoth Ford Excursion with AC going and cell phone glued to their ear is polluting more than my 12 year-old car with a used cat, it's a "no-no".

Consider. A large percentage of the fuel, ignition and electrical parts used on Alfas are common to other cars a 6 series Bimmer distributor cap works just fine on the 164, a Bosch fuel pump works in an Audi as well as the 164. So, perhaps, we who make use of such common parts are guilty of adulteration of the breed to save a few bucks or in the case of the cat to save mucho denero. (Inernational list a cat for my car at $1220)

Does the cat fall into this category. Yes, it can be used and still useable. No, because it is regulated, albeit as part of a "generalized solution" that I will come to below.

In my case, I simply want to keep my great 164S happily running on the road. The exhaust system is tuned for the car so it can put out 200 plus bhp. I would rather put a used (but working) cat made for my S, than an after market (except Stebro) that is certified by some clueless someone somewhere. Unless you are restoring an Alfa for concours, most of us will at one point or another use a non Alfa or used Alfa part. That's ok.

The point - and there are one - the rules are made by agencies charged with coming up with a generalized solution. As such, in many cases, they are just plain stupid. Alfa owners do not fall into that generalized solution and must often, as a price of ownership, be prepared to pursue the spirit if not the letter of the regs.

Drive on.

Don