in defense of the MGB

In a message dated 7/8/2002 8:09:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> That MGB was the most patheticly handling, underpowered piece of junk.
> I remember it had no synchros so when he downshifted without blipping
> the throttle, the wheels would lock up.  That was 1973 about 18 years
> after the invention of synchro-mesh transmission.

A few years ago I "hired" a 1964 MGB-GT in beautiful restored condition for a
week's touring around Scotland, and it was a lot of fun (especially in
comparison with an Alfa, a completely different animal).

I had been familiar with this model in decades gone by, although not as a
right-hand driver, and this came in handy when "someone" left the lights on
the very first day and killed what I knew to be the 2 6v batteries in series
hidden under the rear "seat."  Good  thing - the road service people who came
to give us a jump had nary a clue; in fact, hadn't yet been born when they
had the brainstorm of hiding the batteries.  Lucky I had "prior experience!"

There is really no comparison between a svelte, sleek, elegant Alfa (name any
model) and the MG, something of a small tank.  But, it got us around handily,
was exactly the right size for the narrow Scottish lanes, and I thought they
heavy steering was OK, too!

Best of all, something that is like an Alfa: it helped us to meet a lot of
people who once had,or knew someone who had, such a car.  That was the best
part.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA