Liars and Idiots

>Subject: Liars and Idiots
>

>>>It's going to a mechanic tomorrow for an evaluation..
>>>though this is a guy saying "Alfa's are the highest maintentence sports
>>>cars,  they need a major rebuild every 70-80K miles".
>>

>>>I'm trying like hell to remain polite about this. Please don't give this
>>>person your money. Or your time.
>>

>Damn someone should have told me this so I could have rebuilt it at 80K.
>I've 196,000+ miles and now find out I should have rebuilt this high
>maintenance thing almost three time.... S_ _ T!

Heheheh... you guys are showing admirable restraint..  I have heard many
stories that contradict this,  and had seen a torn down engine with
97,000 on it.. (poor guy had a altercation with a curb,  not only sump
and pump, but a main bearing cap was knocked off!)  the liners had
unworn hone marks like they were brand new!  Most of the rest of that
one looked the same..   so I know better,  how long they can last. If
you take care of them, that is..  Went ahead anyway,  (calm down, guys)
and had him do the once over.. Don't worry,  I probably won't be back..

Kind of an expensive way to get a car up on a lift, so I could have a
better look..  but what the hell,  I needed to know soon.  The rest of
his evaluations didn't seem so out in left field.  Upside,  the car
looks better than I was fearing..  Whatever fender benders it might have
been in, have done next to nothing on a large scale.. body seems very
straight, oil in the trans and diff, and I didn't find any more than the
little rust I've seen so far.

I'll cover the details in the original thread..

Jon