164 Fuel Smell and Gearbox Dipstick

Greetings Alfisti!

Apologies if some of these threads have already been answered but I don't
seem to be getting all of the ADs to my work e-mail - I think that there is
probably some text in them that is being blocked by our server.

The easiest way to locate the 164 gearbox dipstick is to jack up the car
and crawl underneath - once you're under the car you will see it, but the
suggestion of dipping the handle in yellow paint is a very good idea!

The 164 fuel smell problem is a perennial but completely fixable problem.
I had this with my 164 when I bought it a couple of years ago.  I spent a
lot of time trying to track down and fix the problem -  when I finally did,
I posted some details on Colin Verilli's 164 site, and was so swamped with
requests for further info, that I wrote a complete guide to the problem.  A
copy of this now lives on Stuart Heather's AlfaPro site - see
http://www.alfapro.com/html/fuel_hoses.html

Somebody said on the digest that this problem can never be completely fixed
- I did the job over two years ago, and I've been leak and smell free since
then.  The secret is that you must get hose and clamps that are rated for
EFI.  Ordinary hose or clamps will leak again in a couple of days.  Also,
if you have the correct hose and clamps, double clamping is not necessary.

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,
John Wiltshire
Sydney Australia

If you have received this email in error, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing and using the information.
Please contact the sender immediately by return email and destroy
the original message.