EC 2002 v. GTV comparo

Bob writes:

>Anybody read the extensive article in the new September issue? They felt the
2002 was a more solid car.
>Comments? I've never had the pleasure to ride in a GTV 2000

I'm still trying to decide where I stand on this review.  I've owned both a
2002 and a GTV, so I agree with some of the comments, but this review isn't
exactly just "2002 v. GTV".  The 2002 in the article is a rare Alpina 2002 Ti,
not an off-the-rack 2002.  It is significantly more powerful than a stock 1973
2002, has a dogleg 5 speed and has better suspenders.  That said, the GTV 2000
has been altered with Shankle springs and 1750 cams, so it's not completely
stock either.  Both cars have aftermarket driving seats and various other
tweaks.

To compare the GTV 2000 to a stock 2002 would be unfair, as the GTV was
probably 25% more expensive in '73/'74.  A better comparison would probably be
a Guilia sedan to a stock 2002, they'd be similar in price, configuration and
equipment.  The Alpina 2002 Ti is similar in original price, but is a
low-volume tuner car.  A GTA would be more similar in philosophy to the
Alpina, but still very different in execution.

I also take issue with the reviewer who drove the GTV, "...not just someone
else's car, but a friend's car, so I didn't throw it around too much."  If I
had offered my GTV for this article, I would have been very disappointed if
the car was not driven with enthusiasm.  The guy in the Alpina had no such
reservations.

I would agree that the 2002 is a more solid platform right off the assembly
line, but it isn't necessarily a better handling car in stock form, just
different than the GTV.  Both can be benefit from judicious suspension tuning.
The GTV has by far the better engine, more powerful in the mid- and upper-RPM
range.  It also has better brakes for hard driving, although the 2002 brakes
are pretty good, even with rear drums.  The GTV came stock with a LSD and a 5
speed v. the stock 2002's open diff and 4 speed.

I love the idea of these "vintage comparison tests" and I hope they find more
opportunities to put enthusiast cars head to head, but I just hope any future
articles will have better matches between cars and more consistent reviewers.

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800CS