steering wheel

Somebody suggested that I use an impact wrench on the steering wheel puller to apply torque and a good whack simultaneously, but it turns out that I stripped not only my Grade 5 bolts last night, but my new 5/16" threads in the wheel. So it's back to the hardware store tomorrow for a 3/8" tap, drill bit, and bolts. Anyway, a number of people suggested that I put nuts behind the wheel--this seems like a great idea, but is there any way to do it without destroying stuff, like the horn mechanism?

Thanks again,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6