Re: SZ (ES30) importing and CA smog thingy

>Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
>From: James Montebello <jamesm@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: SZ (ES30) importing and CA smog thingy
>
>Supposedly, they become exempt 30 years after the model year, so for a
>'75, you're looking at 2005 as the first year it's exempt.  If you smog
>it in '02, you'd have to smog it again in '04, never again after that.
>If you smog it in '03, you'd never have to smog it again, as it would
>be exempt in '05.  So, it depends on where you are in the two-year
>cycle and the model year of the car.  Also, if you sell it in '03 or
>'04, it will have to be smogged one last time, no matter when it was
>smogged previously.

There's one exception to the last sentence.  If I read things right,
CA smog tests are good for 90 days.  Therefore if you smog it in 2k3
or 2k4 then decide to sell it within 3 months of doing the smog, then
you and the buyer are still free.

-Dennis
Sunnyvale, CA
'85 GTV6