re: Wire tracing idea

Jon writes:

>Been reading about the various wire harness topics about,  and it got me
>thinking on how to trace things
>out..  and an idea came up.
>
>Anyone ever try the little gismo that the phone linemen use to find the
>wire in a huge bundle?  It's an electronic
>noismaker you hook to the wire in question,  and a "sniffer" reciever
>that will hear the tone, but only a few mm
>away.. you poke around till you find the wire with the tone.

My inelegant but functional solution , really mostly for continuity testing,
is to unhook both ends of the wire in question (or the plug it runs into),
then run a jumper from a positive source (usually the battery) to one end, and
check the other end with a grounded test lamp.  No regrets so far, but I'm
sure it's only a matter of time.  Fortunately I've not had any cars that were
seriously hacked by PO's, leaving the wire colors completely different than
the wiring diagram.  Of course I've discovered that Alfa didn't always use the
same color wire as they list on the diagram!

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS