Alfa engine rebuild

GregYoungblood asked about the time required to rebuild a 2-liter engine.

Greg,
When I bought my old spider, it came with a spare engine, seized, on an
engine stand. That was just about a year ago. Yesterday, I picked-up the
flywheel that I had lightened at a local machine shop and will mate to the
crankshaft (see question this number/volume).  All the reciprocating parts
will be dropped-off at another shop for balancing, including the rods,
pistons and the crank assembly. I purchased new rods, pistons and liners from
Ereminas Imports. New bearings and gasket sets from the same source. The
original head was not rebuilt, but a good deal was had on a reconditioned
head on ebay. The ebay head was taken totally apart by Peter D'Amico in New
Jersey and checked for serviceability. I sent in my old Spica pump cores to
Wes Ingram for exchange on a rebuilt pump. Wes provided reground cams to
compliment the pump.  I bought a Thermostatic Actuator on ebay, too. All
other aluminim parts, the front cover, sumps and block were hot tanked to
clean them very thoroughly. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I sent the crank to
Don Ereminas to have the oilway holes drilled and tapped to receive new brass
plugs.  I strongly recommend you establish a rapport with Don as you proceed.
He is extremely approachable...a character trait not often found in the realm
of italian machinery gurus. Anyhow, the engine has reached maximum
entropy...it's as disorganized as it perhaps ever will be. I have collected
articles from 15 years of the AlfaOwner magazine, read and reread Jim
Katalakis's book: How to Power-tune Alfa Engines..." (recommended), poured
over everything Braden has written, collected lots of tools to fill a cramped
workspace, bought an air compressor, asked numerous questions on this digest,
developed several good corrospondences with other alfa-nuts and have
generally been self-assured that I'm doing as good a job as I can do under
the circumstances. I have spent about $3500 on parts and services. It's been
a year in my spare time. The engine is still not together. I've had a great
opportunity to learn about a sophisticated bit of machinery, elegant, and
very beautiful in it's way.

Greg Modelle